by Rachel Ansari
2. Help - If your household is anything like mine, the duties of parenthood and maintaining order in the home are never-ending .Who wouldn't love to check things off their to-do list without lifting a finger? Consider gifting mom with some extra help. If you have a new baby a postpartum doula is like a mom's BFF, baby whisperer, and Mary Poppins rolled into one. Or maybe you just need some help getting healthy meals on the table. Some home-cooked meals could be just what mom needs to feel her best and know that her family's nutritional needs are being met. For delicious meal preparation in Asheville, our talented personal chef and postpartum doula, Molly Rouse, makes sure each meal is packed full of essential nutrients and has experience with many different diets.If you're more the DIY type, make a week's worth of freezer or crockpot meals. Visit our nutrition board on Pinterest for some great recipes!
3. Relaxation - The constant demands of parenting make true relaxation a real challenge. This makes a massage the perfect gift for mom. Our licensed massage therapist, Michele Gee, is experienced in both prenatal and postpartum massage. (Bonus: If you purchase a massage package it includes free infant massage training!) Learn more about the many benefits of massage therapy here and here. If a massage isn't in the cards consider running mom a luxurious bath complete with candles, wine, chocolate, and quiet, lots of quiet.
4. Experiences - Remind mom that motherhood is only part, granted a large part, of her identity by gifting her an experience. Maybe she's always wanted to learn how to sew or knit. Check out ABTech's Community Enrichment programs for more great ideas. Or maybe the mom in your life has always wanted to skydive or hike the Appalachian Trail. Experiences can help moms rediscover themselves and can help ease the transition from wild-and-fancy-free to mom 24/7 (even if it's been years since she became a mom).
5. Family Photos - Family dynamics are constantly changing and you will never again be exactly as you are now. There's nothing quite like having the unique essence of your family in this moment in time captured by the skillful, intuitive eye of a professional photographer. Plus it gives you beautiful, memorable conversation pieces to decorate your home. Check out Carrie Turner Photography for a photojournalism approach and Frantz Photography. Feeling camera shy? visit our Family Photography Pinterest board for lots of family photo ideas and enlist a trusted friend to do the honors.
6. Artwork and sentimental items - Most moms do their best to cherish these fleeting moments, even the difficult ones, because we know that all too soon they will be only memories. Help create and solidify those memories by transforming all the love your family has for mom into a work of art with help, either a little or a lot, from the kids. This can be as simple as the kids drawing a picture or making a video or as creative as turning your child's artwork or footprint into jewelry. Check out our Gifts for Moms Pinterest board for more great ideas!
Whatever gift you choose, it's hard, though not impossible (think vaccuum), to go wrong when your heart is in the right place. What are your favorite gifts to give or receive for Valentine’s Day?